4 key areas to take digitalisation to the next level
Wiraya and Odyssey, suppliers in Martech have interviewed market leaders on four key areas of Marketing Tech to investigate their digital maturity within strategy, organisation/processes, data/analysis and technology investments.
This is how marketing managers manage the organisation and processes.
None of the market leaders feel that they have an optimal organisation to work efficiently with the new technology. This is not because of a lack of expertise in the technology itself, but rather due to a lack of processes and working methods in order to be able to work more customer-focused.
Those who have come the furthest have created cross-functional teams and processes in their business, based on customer journeys. Yet most companies are still stuck in silos. It takes time to reposition their market organisation, especially those with older structures, old legacy systems and regulatory challenges.
Even if the management have decided on a clear approach in a digital transformation, it still takes time to implement.
Most companies we interviewed lack analytics capability, such skills are rated high on marketing departments wish lists. None of the businesses consider themselves to have the capacity today to be able to work with or fully implement Marketing Tech.
The companies that focussed on processes have done so at the expense of other activities. We also see a trend that marketing departments want more skills in-house, rather than outsourcing. They work in a less campaign-oriented way and need staff who work continuously with, for example, communication and content to reach customers quickly. This is also required in order to increase relevance and to be more responsive to customers’ needs.
– Create a customer journey map that everyone can work from. It enables the organisation to move in the same direction and improve processes that enhance the customer experience.
– Be sure to have an organisation that is fast-moving and adaptive. The agile methodology is key and works well across departments.
– If you lack analytical competence, get external help. Either from consultancies or by getting technology that can process and analyse data for you.
Learn more about the other key areas to achieve profitability and take digitalisation to the next level.
1. Strategy – An enabler or disabler?
3. Data and analysis – Analysts are the market leaders most sought after colleague
4. Technology and system support – ‘Martech’ is still an unknown term for many